Sunday, October 18, 2009

How to Save Money on Skin Care Without Compromise

When it comes to skin care, I might be the worlds most stubborn and inflexible woman. I am, after all, a passionate skin care therapist. Over the course of my career, I've had the luxury of trying some of the worlds finest skin care. So once I find something I love, it is impossible for me to compromise. But money is tight these days in the Poblano household, so how do I manage to pamper my precious skin without going cheap? I get creative!

Lime Blossom Lotion - Toner (6.76 fl oz.)


Toner- Replace the flip cap with a spray or mist top like the Lime Blossom Toner above. You'll find that you only have to mist your skin with 1-2 pumps in the morning instead of saturating a cotton ball with your toner. At night, mist 3-4 sprays of your toner onto a cotton pad (not a cotton ball which absorbs too much product) and wipe your skin clean. Doing these two simple steps has helped my toner to last 6 months!

Pink Grapefruit Clarifying Mask (2 oz.)

Mask- I like to mix my facial masks with skin loving items I find in my kitchen. Egg whites for firming, egg yolk or honey for dry skin, olive oil for irritated skin or apple cider vinegar for blemish prone. By adding these less expensive yet nourishing goodies to your masks, you can make one tube or jar of expensive mask last one year!

Active Serum Sensitive Skin (1 fl oz.)


Treatment Serums- This is where I usually spend the most money, from $50 to over $100 for 1/2 ounce. But trust me ladies, this is the product that is going to do all that lightening n' tightening, renewing n' smoothing. Treatment serums are the muscle in your skin care routine. So how do I save money without compromise? First, I use them only at night, when the skin naturally repairs itself making the most use of my serum. Secondly, though I have several serums, each one that does something different, I use only one serum a night. Thirdly, and most importantly, I gently but firmly press the serum onto toner damp skin (see more info on this below).

HydraContinue Instant Moisture Cream (1.6 fl oz.)

Night Moisturizer- I can make my night cream last 4-5 months by following one simple step, I gently and firmly press (not rub!) the product onto toner damp skin. Using this simple method makes a tiny pea-size amount of product cover my entire face, neck and decollete! So here's how you do it: after wiping your skin with your toner, squirt a small amount of serum onto your middle and ring fingers. Lightly rub your fingers together and gently press the product onto your damp face, neck and decollete. Repeat the same method with a small pea-size amount of your night moisturizer. Why does this work? Because you are pressing (not rubbing) and the skin is toner damp, the product sits on the skin longer (rather than soaking in right away) allowing you to move the little bit of product over a larger surface area.

Voila! You just saved yourself a bunch of money and it didn't even hurt! Have any tricks of your own? Please share them in the comments below!

3 Vintage Beauty Lovers Said...:

Ms. B said...

Great tips! Thanks for this post!!

gleenn said...

this is wonderful, veru useful tips. thanks for sharing ;)

Jessica Cangiano said...

Terrific - and thoroughly - useful post, thank you for sharing these handy, practical tips with us. (Like yourself, I try to see if I can make my creams last for several months, it's almost a game I play with myself wherein I try to make them [and my hair products/make-up] last as long as possible.)

Many thanks for your lovely comments, honey, I hope you're having a fantastic week!
♥ Jessica

Blog Widget by LinkWithin