Monday, January 11, 2010

{Kestrel StJames} Real Vintage Mama Profile part 1/3

This is my week honey. My week! Not only is Thursday my 29th birthday...not only did my Hunny give me my birthday present early (a laptop! sweet!)...not only am I going to be a regular mama blogger on OC Family...but I'm also posting my very first Real Vintage Mama Profile!

Meet Kestrel StJames...




Kestrel currently lives in Austin, Tx, where she lives with her hubby of 10 years, and their children, Bubba Hammerstein (9 yrs),  Boomer Blue (7 yrs), and Roo (9 mos). Besides being in the business of making babies, Kestrel is a pin up model (yowza!).
I had freshly retired from dance, because it wasn’t working for my marriage and was kind of moping, feeling sorry for myself, gaining weight and otherwise kind of bummed out and depressed feeling like ‘just a mom’.  A friend asked if I’d like to do some photography stuff, ...I would hang out and take some pictures with him but when I was pregnant it really took off.
 I came to the Pin Up genre by accident.  A photographer asked me if I could recreate some vintage drawings he had seen, and I came to realize, if you don’t do the hair and the make up, then the pin up poses are just pretentious knee lifting.  After figuring out how to back comb and how to roll hair – not an easy task with waist length hair, then I was hooked.
Skin and Hair Care


Kestrel describes her skin as very dry, therefore avoids using soaps. Instead, she wipes her skin clean with lotion (like using a light cold cream), and finishes it off with Eucerin Q10 Moisturizer or Roc Retinol Daily Moisturizer SPF 30 on her face and Twist & Pout Lip Balm SPF 20 for her lips.

Vintage Beauty Tip- Dry skin (lacking oil) ages faster than  normal or oily skin. Using a creamy cleanser, like Kestrel does, helps to replace oils and slows down the aging process.


Her favorite body care items are Nivea Creme(the one that comes in a tub not a bottle), Sally Hansen 18 Hour Hand Repair (used everywhere, leaves her skin feeling dewy for hours), and Tree Hut Shea Body Butter.



As you can see from her pictures, Kestrel has a ton of gorgeous hair (so jealous...). She had many tips to share about how she keeps her mane so healthy.
  • She avoids heat styling as much as possible
  • She uses hair pins, which she keeps neatly in a cup for easy access
  • She uses jaw clips instead of hair bands to prevent rolling and breaking of hair
  • She NEVER combs her hair while it's wet
Never ever ever brush your hair wet if you are looking to have any length.  If you must, get a wide toothed comb and comb it while you rinse your conditioner.  Get a good leave in conditioner, and when you get out of the shower, finger comb it through.  When hair is wet it’s at its most fragile.
Kestrel doesn't have a particular brand of shampoo she's loyal to, she instead focuses on conditioning and reconstructing her hair. She's a big fan of Joico's K-Pak , a protien reconstructor,   Nexxus Humectress Conditioner for extra moisture and Ellin Lavar Textures Penetrating Balm  also for moisture.

Vintage Beauty Tip - Washing your hair daily washes out protective oils and can cause breakage. Kestrel washes her hair just about once a week.

Here's a cute styling tip she had to share:
A fun look for really long hair that looks like you worked really hard but actually didn’t is to put a Bumpits (yup, those things!) at the crown, pull it back in a ponytail, braid the ponytail and then wrap the braid around the ponytail base like a bun.  Wrap and pin it so it lays flat against the back of your head and tuck the end under and pin it.  It looks like a very complex hair weaving, and takes less than five minutes.
 If you have a fringe, either pomp it, or roll it and you look like you’re going out someplace important and worked on your hair for hours instead of about ten minutes!
Kestrals biggest beauty challenge after children?
Finding the time to get it together.  That and the baby ripping out my hair.  She uses [my hair as] a combo blanket/napkin/bungee cord.


 Tomorrows post will feature Kestrel's makeup and fashion.

Meanwhile you can check out her modeling portfolio on Model Mayhem, Deviant Art, and Pin Up Lifestyle.











0 Vintage Beauty Lovers Said...:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin